Understanding Course Footnotes
San Diego State University uses course footnotes to provide additional clarifying information about the course or specific course section.
Footnotes can be seen on the Class Schedule website. Footnote details are visible when hovering over the code or by clicking on the course section. Lettered footnotes contain university-wide content while numbered footnotes have content specific to the academic departments and courses they are assigned to.
Footnotes Regarding Learning Modality
- SN (Synchronous Virtual Instruction)
- Live/synchronous instruction at the times and days listed in the Class Schedule. Students are expected to attend the live sessions. Final exam time listed on the final exam website.
- MS (Mostly Synchronous Virtual Instruction)
- More than 50% of the online coursework will be provided through direct faculty instruction and academic activities at the times and days listed in the Class Schedule. Students are expected to attend the live sessions. Final exam time listed on the final exam website.
- MA (Mostly Asynchronous Virtual Instruction)
- Unless otherwise noted in the Class Schedule footnotes, instruction is provided through a combination of recorded and limited direct instruction with academic activities, quizzes, etc., at the arranged times and dates described in the footnotes and syllabus. Students are expected to attend the live sessions. Final exam time listed in the course syllabus.
- Mostly Asynchronous courses may be preferable for students in different time zones as they provide the ability to do work on your own schedule at your own pace. However, these courses may require group activities and arranged meetings with faculty.
- IP (Partial or Fully In-Person Instruction)
- CSU approved partial or fully in-person course with plans for faculty supervision, approved lab space, social distancing, and COVID-19 safety requirements. Please see course syllabi for more information.
- Courses with the IP footnote may also have the following additional footnotes:
- AD (Alternating Days)
- Alternating days for face-to-face, virtual participation on the other day(s).
- AW (Alternating Weeks)
- Alternating weeks for face-to-face, virtual participation on the other weeks(s).
- ML (Multiple Locations)
- Multiple locations at the times and days listed in the Class Schedule. See course syllabus for details.
- OL (Outdoor Location)
- Class will meet on campus at an outdoor, sheltered location at the times and days listed in the Class Schedule.
- SA (Staggered Attendance)
- Staggered face-to-face and virtual attendance pattern. See course syllabus for details.