Registration Resources for Advisors, Faculty, and Staff

Start of Registration

  • Students will register for their classes according to their registration date and time.
  • Students will join waitlists if there are no open seats.
  • Students are auto-enrolled from the waitlist when a seat becomes available.
  • Students can enroll in a maximum of 18 units or other specified unit total directed by the student's major.

One Week Before First Day of Classes

  • Cross Enrollment and Open University opens.
  • Students can exceed the 18 unit limit and enroll in a maximum of 21 units.
  • All undergraduates wishing to register for more than 21 credits will be required to have the approval of the academic department that houses their first major, or a delegated advisor, Assistant Dean or department designee.

First Day of Classes

  • Students continue to be auto-enrolled from the waitlist when a seat becomes available.

Fifth Day of Classes

  • Auto-enroll from the waitlist ends at 11:59 p.m.. After this date, students will not be automatically enrolled from the waitlist and will need a permission number to enroll.

Eighth Day of Classes

  • Last day for students to be administratively dropped due to lack of prerequisites and non-attendance.

Tenth Day of Classes

  • Schedule Adjustment Deadline is 11:59 p.m.
  • Students can no longer make changes to their schedules.
  • Petitions for Late Schedule Adjustments will start to be submitted after this date.
  • An approved withdrawal requested between the tenth and the twentieth day will remove the course from the academic record and approvals will not be held to the same standard of serious, compelling reasons.

Twentieth Day of Classes

  • Census.
  • An approved withdrawal requested after the university census date will result in a grade of "W" for the course(s) on the academic transcript.
  • First-year students can request to change their major.

Last Day of Classes

  • Last day to submit a Petition for Late Schedule Adjustment.

Start Through Tenth Day of Classes

Current students withdrawing from the university prior to the schedule adjustment deadline should complete the Request for Withdrawal Prior to Schedule Adjustment form. Exception memos and cross campus enrollment requests will also be submitted during this timeframe.

Tenth Day Through Last Day of Classes

If a student needs to withdraw or make a change to their schedule, a Petition for Late Schedule Adjustment will need to be submitted.

Guides and Tutorials

The links and resources on this page will help you navigate the registration process.

The Student Services Center in my.SDSU will be a central place to view student records and other information. Advisors and staff will be able to see a student’s:

  • Personal information (names, addresses, phone numbers, etc.)
  • Class schedule
  • Service indicators (Holds)
  • Admission information
  • Transfer credit transactions
  • Major/minor/pre-major
  • Academic status
  • Financial information

To access the Student Services Center in my.SDSU, you must log in and navigate first to Campus Community and then to Student Services Ctr (Student).

Learn How to View Student Information

Students may need to obtain permission for certain types of classes, including but not limited to independent study, directed study thesis, internships, etc. These courses are annotated with Department Consent Required on the class schedule. Students will need to contact the department offering the course or the course instructor to obtain permission to enroll. Once the department or faculty has granted permission within my.SDSU, they will be able to enroll in the course.

SDSU is changing its waitlist process to be a first on, first off approach. This means that a student will get off the waitlist in the order they are put on. For example, a student who is third on the waitlist will be the third person off the waitlist.

Enrollment after the fifth* instructional day is by permission only (*deadlines may vary in summer). In order to enroll in a course, students must contact the course instructor and request a permission number. The student will then enter this code in my.SDSU when enrolling in the course.

Permission Numbers can only be used one time and each student should be given a unique number.

General Permission Number FAQs
How do instructors know which students need permission numbers after the waitlist has been purged?
After the waitlist has been purged following the fifth day of instruction, students must self-identify to the faculty member and request a permission number. Faculty are not expected to give permission numbers to all students on the waitlist. In the event that the department or college is managing permission numbers for a course, the faculty should direct the student to the appropriate contact for assistance.
Can a permission number be given (or not) to the student at the instructor's discretion?
In providing permission numbers, priority can be given to students who are in need of the class in order to make timely graduation progress. In order to do so, instructors may deviate from the order that students were ranked on the course waitlist.

Instructors are not required to distribute permission numbers, and may deny requests for them based on space limitations and/or if students lack necessary prerequisites for the class.

While given discretion as described above, instructors may not discriminate based on gender, race, ethnicity, disability, military status or sexual orientation.

If there is only one seat remaining and multiple students in similar circumstances ask for a permission number, how can a priority be determined?
Waitlist data, including waitlist ranking, will be retained and can be used to determine priority for a permission number when all other academic information is equal.

The waitlist information will be made available to each college.

Can the department or college provide general permission numbers on the instructor’s behalf?
Yes, a staff guide to permission numbers is available on the my.SDSU website.
Can additional permission numbers be generated if needed?
Yes, instructors should contact their department or college for assistance creating additional permission numbers.
If a student drops the course, can they use the same permission number to re-enroll?
No. Permission numbers are for one-time use only and cannot be used a second time.
How can faculty or staff keep track of what permission numbers have been given out?
On the Class Permissions page, there will be a checkbox under the Issued column. It is recommended when you share that permission number with a student, you check the Issued box next to the number that was shared, and select Save at the bottom of the page. When returning to the Class Permissions page, that box will be checked, and you will know not to share that number with another student.
Are course prerequisites enforced when students use permission numbers to register?
Yes, if a course has enforced requisites, the permission number will only allow students who have met all course requisites to enroll.

If an exemption is needed, the student should contact the department offering the course for assistance.

In my.SDSU, holds that are on a student’s academic record are called service indicators. Service indicators have positive or negative impacts on student files and records. Service indicators may be accessed via the Student Service Center. Please review the my.SDSU Service Indicators page for more information.

At the time of admission to the university, each undergraduate student is assigned to a pre-major or major field or curriculum, or is designated as an undeclared major. After registration, all students wishing to change their major or curriculum should check with the department of their intended major for requirements and filing periods.

New Process as of Spring 2023

Students who need to declare, change, or remove their major or minor must meet with their advisor. The major advisor will submit a Declaration of Major or Minor form on their behalf. To submit a Declaration of Change of Major form, please email [email protected].

How to View a Student’s Major in my.SDSU

Navigation: Log in to my.SDSU > Campus Community > Student Services Ctr (Student)

my.SDSU’s Student Services Center is a great place to view a student’s academic information. Once in the Student Center, select the Academics tab and you can review the student’s career, program, and plan (major).

How to view a students major.
Additional information
  • In my.SDSU, majors, pre-majors, and minors are defined differently. Below is some new terminology to understand:
    • Career = Admit type and transcript header (Undergraduate, Graduate, Global Campus)
    • Program = Student Type (Undergraduate, Graduate, Transitory, etc)
    • Plan = Major, minor, certificate, or credential
    • Sub-Plan = Pre-Major
  • New Major (Plan) Code Structure: 6 digit SIMS code + 2 or 3 character degree objective + 1 character campus code. Examples:
    • Child Development
      • 3390909BSS (BS at San Diego campus)
      • 330909MSS (MS at San Diego campus)
    • Social Science
      • 116701BALS (BA at San Diego campus)
      • 116701BALI (BA at Imperial Valley campus)
  • Upon change or declaration of major, students must adopt the requirements of the major and any minors in effect at that time. This means, the student’s catalog year will be updated to the most current academic year.
  • First-year students need to wait until the Census date in their first semester has passed. Should a first year student request a change of major before Census, please submit the form on the student’s behalf after the Census date.
  • If a student is updating an emphasis, the catalog year will not change.

For student registration resources, please review the Registration page.

Contingent Enrollment

Contingent enrollment will require the prerequisite to be in-progress on the my.SDSU record (i.e. MATH 150 is IP for fall 2022 so registration will be successful for MATH 151 for spring 2023)

  • Enrollment in course with the prerequisite in progress will be successful, without a contingency message.
  • Students will continue to be dropped after the end of the semester from future courses where the prerequisite was not met and where the prerequisite is enforced.
Prerequisite Enforcement

A course may have system enforced prerequisites. These course prerequisites will stop a student from enrolling into a class if they have not met them.

  • Restricting enrollment to upper division major status is not currently possible within my.SDSU.
  • Courses can be restricted to specific student-levels.
What if my student does not meet the enforced prerequisites?

If a student does not meet the enforced prerequisite at the time of enrollment but has been given permission to enroll, there are 2 options to facilitate the enrollment:

  1. Registration/Exception Memo
    • If a transfer elective meets the spirit of the prerequisite but is not considered equivalent to an SDSU course (i.e. MATH 150 is required for MATH 151 but the student has a MATH 2T transfer credit that meets the spirit of MATH 150).
    • If a student is approved to take a course without meeting all prerequisites.
  2. RAAR for Equivalent Course
    • If a transfer elective is identified by faculty as being a direct equivalent to an SDSU course for all students, a RAAR approving an update to the articulation can be submitted (this will apply to all students who took that transfer course).

Declaration of Change of Major or Minor

Course Repeat form can be found in my.SDSU. Navigation: TBD (Advisors Only)

Exception Memo - please reach out to [email protected] to request the URL. (Advisors Only)

Late Schedule Adjustment (students submits)

Cross Enrollment (students submits)

Retroactive Withdrawal (students submits)

Leave of Absence Form (student submits)