Name & Gender Change Procedures

Updating your Personal Information SDSU

Current and former students may request to update the personal information on file with SDSU through the SDSU WebPortal.

  • Select Personal Information Update from the left-hand menu
  • Complete the Personal Information Update and Document Upload Form
  • Include your RedID, first and last names, and SDSU email address.
  • Select the checkbox(es) of the information you would like to update including legal name, chosen name, and gender marker.
  • Attach the required documents outlined in the sections below
  • Select Submit at the bottom of the form

You will receive a confirmation message after submitting the form. The Office of the Registrar will review the request and contact you by email within 2-3 business days to confirm your change or request further information.

Changing Legal Name

Legal names can be changed at SDSU with the proper documentation; a government issued identification card (e.g. driver's license) and Social Security card reflecting the new name.

If you are not a United States citizen, you must show a valid passport and photo ID reflecting the new legal name.

Once the name change has been processed, notify your instructors of your name change to avoid grading discrepancies. You will only need to do this if you are changing your name mid-semester.

Your new and former names will appear on your SDSU transcript. In cases where there is a desire to not display the previous name, a request for the removal of the previous name may be submitted through the Contact Us Form.

Students receiving financial aid must also request that their financial aid record be updated through the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.

Setting a Chosen First Name

Students who have enrolled at San Diego State University under their legal name have the option to set a chosen first and middle names. The updated first name will appear within certain areas of the university's student record systems.

You may request a new SDSUcard after receiving confirmation that your chosen name was updated successfully. Verification of the updated name (e.g. the email confirmation) should be provided to the SDSUcard Office.

A student's chosen first name will be reflected in the following areas:

  • SDSU WebPortal
  • Canvas Learning Management System (LMS)
  • SDSUcard
  • Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities
  • Student Life and Leadership
  • Library
  • Option for diplomas and Commencement programs
  • Master's Theses (including the cover page, copyright page, SDSU library catalog detail and Proquest submission)

All other documents/records such as official transcripts, financial aid, diplomas (unless chosen name is selected at time of graduation application to display on diploma), directory information, payroll documents, etc. will still require the student's legal name. If the student would like to change their chosen first name to a legal name, the process cited above for changing legal name should be followed. For additional information, undergraduate students may visit the Graduation Frequently Asked Questions website and graduate students may visit the Graduate Affairs Graduation Information website.

If you are changing your name mid-semester, notify your instructors of this change to avoid grading discrepancies.

Updating Gender Marker

Students enrolled at SDSU under their assigned or legal sex at birth may update their gender marker in the student records system to reflect their gender identity. This change can coincide with the process of updating one's name on their university student record. Gender markers can be updated to male, female or nonbinary.

Note: Please be advised that updating your name and/or gender marker in the university's student records is not the same as legally updating your name and/or gender markers. You may be required to provide proof of your legal name and/or identity for employment or government purposes, such as obtaining a passport.

Additional Resources

San Diego State University, Office of the Registrar strives to provide a safe, comfortable and non-discriminatory university experience for students whose gender identity and/or gender expression does not conform to their assigned legal sex at birth and wish to request changes to some university records to reflect their gender identity and/or gender expression. For questions or concerns regarding the preferred name or gender processes, please contact Anne Guanciale in the Pride Center at (619) 594-0734.