Grading Basis: Credit/No Credit

Given the uncertainty of COVID-19, students had the option to change from a letter grade to Credit/No Credit during spring 2020, fall 2020, spring 2021, fall 2021, and spring 2022.

You are encouraged to speak with your assistant dean before requesting a change to your grading basis to ensure that the change will not impact your progress to degree, future educational, or professional goals.

Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) grades are not factored into your grade point average, academic probation or disqualification procedures.

Credit earned in spring 2020, fall 2020, spring 2021, summer 2021, fall 2021 or spring 2022, will not apply toward the 15-unit maximum allowed for CR/NC grading towards your bachelor's degree.

Undergraduate Students: A grade of Credit (CR) is awarded for work equivalent to a course letter grade of C (2.0) or better. No Credit (NC) is awarded for work equivalent to all grades, which earn less than 2.0 grade points (C- through F).

Graduate Students: A grade of Credit (CR) is awarded for work equivalent to a course letter grade of B (3.0) or better. No Credit (NC) is awarded for work equivalent to all grades, which earn less than 3.0 grade points (B- through F).

Impact on Financial Aid and Other Program Eligibility:: CR/NC grading may have an impact on your financial aid eligibility. Please review the COVID-19 Related Questions web page on the Financial Aid and Scholarships website for more information. Veterans and dependents using VA Benefits, athletes, and international students are subject to special rules, please contact your program to learn more.

Frequently Asked Questions

These frequently asked questions apply to undergraduate students. If you are a graduate student, please refer to the Temporary Changes to Graduate Student Procedures and Forms web page on the Graduate Studies website for more information on the Grading Basis (CR/NC).

What if I don't know what my grade will be?
If you don't have a good sense of what your current grade is in a course, contact your instructor and discuss your performance in the class.
If I decide to take a course CR/NC, how will this impact my overall GPA?
Credit/No Credit (CR/NR) grades do not have grade points associated with them, which means they are not included in your GPA calculation. For example, if you take 15 units of courses CR/NC for one semester, you will earn units toward your degree and meet the course requirements (such as a major or GE requirements), but your SDSU GPA will not change. Your GPA will be the same as what it was prior to starting the semester of 15 units.
If I am currently on academic probation, how will taking a class for CR/NC grading impact my academic standing?
Earning a CR in a course does not generate grade points, which means it does not change your overall GPA nor impact your academic probation. Taking a class CR/NC will not help to raise your GPA. If you anticipate earning a grade of C or higher, taking the class for a grade could help your GPA, which could also help with your academic status.
I have been academically disqualified and am taking a class through Open University. Can I take the class CR/NC?
Taking a class CR/NC will not help you raise your GPA. If you are trying to raise your GPA for readmission, think carefully about what is the best option, a letter grade or CR/NC. If you have questions, make an appointment to meet with an evaluations specialist in the Office of the Registrar.
Will I be eligible for Dean's List with CR/NC courses?
Students must take at least 12 units of letter-graded courses in a semester to qualify for the Dean's List, which is based on GPA. If you meet the minimum GPA, but elect to take courses as CR/NC resulting in having fewer than 12 units of courses that assign letter grades, then you will not be eligible for the Dean's List.
If I am retaking a class for grade forgiveness, can I still take the course CR/NC?
No. In order to use course forgiveness to forgive a deficient grade, you must repeat the course with a letter grade. If you have questions about repeating classes and how grade forgiveness will impact your GPA, contact your assistant dean or academic advisor.
Can I choose which courses I want to take CR/NC?
Yes, you can choose which courses you want to take CR/NC. Think carefully about your choices. In some cases (for example, some GE courses), grades of C-, D+, D, or D- count toward the completion of a requirement. If you choose CR/NC, however, a CR is equivalent to a minimum of a C. In short, an NC may mean you have to retake a class compared to grades of C-, D+, D, or D- would not.

If you are a graduating senior, carefully consider the implications of your graduation status if you earn NC. You may want to talk to your graduation adviser in the Office of the Registrar before submitting your petition to select CR/NC for courses.

Can I take a GE class for CR/NC?
Yes. It is required that GE courses in Oral Communication, Written Communication, Critical Thinking and Math are passed with a C- or better. If you are taking the course for CR/NC in spring 2020, fall 2020, spring 2021, summer 2021, fall 2021 or spring 2022, you will need to earn a CR (C or better). If you earn a NC (C- or lower) in a course for these four areas of GE, you will need to either retake the same course or take another course that satisfies the GE requirement.

Other GE courses may be taken for CR/NC. For GE courses in Foundations, Explorations, and American Institutions, you can satisfy the GE requirement with a C-, D+, D or D-, but not an NC, so think carefully before opting to take these classes for CR/NC.

Can I take a major or minor class for CR/NC?
It depends on your major or minor. Speak to your assistant dean or academic advisor.
What happens if I earn an NC for a course that serves as a prerequisite for another course I need to take?
If you earn an NC for a prerequisite course, you will not be able to take the next course and you will need to retake the prerequisite course for a letter grade and meet the minimum grade requirement.
What happens if I earn a CR for a course that serves as a prerequisite for another course I need to take?
You will need to check with the academic department for the course to determine if they will accept the CR instead of a letter grade. If they accept the CR, they will need to update your academic record to ensure you will be able to register for the subsequent course.
If I am in an accredited program, can I take courses CR/NC?
Rules differ by accreditation agencies. Please contact your assistant dean or academic advisor to determine what is permissible.
If I am taking a course through Open University, can I take it CR/NC?
Yes, but all of the same issues, which are listed above, should be taken into consideration.
What happens if I don't petition to change to a CR/NC grading basis for a class and after I receive my grades, I realize I should have?
All requests to change to CR/NC grading must be submitted by the deadline specified. After the deadline, you will no longer have the option to change your grading basis.
Should I take an Incomplete grade in a course instead of choosing CR/NC?
You may discuss an Incomplete grade with your instructor. An Incomplete grade is useful if you have completed a substantial portion of the course and are passing the course, but you are unable to complete the course requirements within the academic term. You have up to one year to complete your work, although there should be an agreed upon date between you and your instructor in the Incomplete Contract approved during the grading period.

If you elect to take an incomplete grade for a course, do not re-enroll in the course. You should instead work with your instructor to complete the remaining elements of the course. When the work is completed, the instructor will assign a final grade.

Can I still request a withdrawal from a course or the entire semester?
After the schedule adjustment deadline, changes to your schedule, including withdrawal from one or more courses, are only permitted for extremely serious, fully-documented circumstances which were out of your control. An approved withdrawal requested prior to the university census date will remove the course from your academic record. An approved withdrawal requested after the university census date will result in a grade of "W" for the course(s) on your academic transcript. After the end of a semester, a Request for Retroactive Withdrawal may be submitted where the cause for substandard performance was beyond the your control, such as accident or serious illness.
Can I request to change grading basis from Credit/No Credit to letter grade?
Petitions for Late Schedule Adjustment requesting to change from Credit/No Credit to letter grade may be submitted by the last day of classes, May 5, 2022.