Leave of Absence
All matriculated students must be approved to take a leave of absence by completing the Leave of Absence Petition form. Students must access the Leave of Absence Petition form by logging in to the SDSU WebPortal and selecting the Leave of Absence link.
You are eligible to file a Leave of Absence Petition if you:
- are an undergraduate who has completed at least one semester at San Diego State University;
- are a graduate student who has completed at least one semester of graduate work at SDSU;
- have not been disqualified (probation status allowed to request leave of absence);
- do not have the following holds:
- E - degree
- D - disqualified
- Q - eligibility
- JB, JR, JT - judicial
- are not currently enrolled in any courses;
- have not exceeded the allowed number of leave of absences (four).
Leave of Absence Approval Process:
- Access the Leave of Absence Petition form by logging into the SDSU WebPortal and selecting the Leave of Absence menu link.
- Complete all sections of the Leave of Absence Petition form, and supply supporting documentation when necessary (e.g. military orders, letter from a doctor, etc.)
- Meet with your college dean or designee for approval (contact information is provided on the Leave of Absence link of the WebPortal).
- Submit the approved Leave of Absence Petition form to the Office of the Registrar (Student Services West, Room 1641).