Application for Undergraduate Graduation

Have more questions about graduation ceremonies? Check out the Commencement website.

SDSU officially graduates students at the end of the fall, spring, and summer terms. Students apply to graduate for the term in which they plan to complete all requirements for the degree.

  • Fall graduation: Students completing all requirements for the degree by the end of the fall term.
  • Spring graduation: Students completing all requirements for the degree by the end of the spring term.
  • Summer graduation: Students completing all requirements for the degree by the end of the summer term.

Once you have determined that you are eligible to graduate, you need to submit a graduation application during the published application filing period and pay the one-time $112 nonrefundable application fee. Graduation is based on the successful completion of all of your degree requirements by the last day of the semester of the graduation term you have applied for (i.e. if you apply for spring graduation, you must complete all degree requirements by the last day of the spring semester). Before applying, review your degree evaluation to ensure you are on track to complete all requirements. 

Enrolled students must apply online through my.SDSU by selecting the Application for Graduation menu option through the Academic Records tile. Review the Undergraduate Application for Graduation Guide for detailed step-by-step instructions. The application filing periods are:

Semester Graduating Application Filing Period
Fall 2024 April 15-September 9, 2024
Spring 2024 Closed: October 2, 2023-January 30, 2024
Summer 2024 Closed: October 2, 2023-January 30, 2024

Once your application has been submitted and your application fee has been processed, you'll receive official notification to your SDSUid email address confirming the receipt of your application and the graduation term you've applied for. 

As an active graduation applicant, your record will be reviewed for degree conferral. If there are requirements that will not be met upon successful completion of your in-progress or future progress courses, the graduation advisor will note what is missing at the bottom of your degree evaluation. An email will then be sent to your SDSUid email address notifying you that your degree evaluation has been reviewed. You should already be aware of what requirements may not be completed by reviewing your degree evaluation regularly and working with your major advisor to ensure all requirements will be met.

SDSU Career Services is committed to supporting the career paths of SDSU graduates. Starting May 2023, an outcomes survey will be conducted each semester for graduating seniors. If you are a graduating senior, the link will be emailed to your SDSU student email. Please complete and submit the survey once you receive it. 

If you are not a current undergraduate or second bachelor's degree student and are unable to apply online, you may send an email, including your full name at the time of enrollment and RedID, through the Contact Us form to request a paper version of the application and further instructions on how to complete the application process to include payment of the one-time $112 nonrefundable filing fee.

Frequently Asked Questions

When does the university graduate students?
SDSU officially graduates students at the end of the fall, spring, and summer terms. Students apply to graduate for the term in which they plan to complete all requirements for the degree. Students completing all requirements for the degree by the end of fall apply for fall graduation. Students completing all requirements for the degree by the end of spring apply for spring graduation. Students completing all requirements for the degree by the end of summer apply for summer graduation.
Is there a difference between the application for graduation and commencement?
Yes. All students that have an active graduation application on file with the university by the deadline of the published filing period will be invited to participate in the commencement ceremony. However, participation in the commencement ceremony does not mean your degree with the university has been conferred. For example, if your active graduation application on file is for summer graduation and you plan to complete your remaining degree requirements in summer immediately following the May commencement ceremony, you may participate in May commencement without having earned your degree from SDSU. You will still be required to complete the remaining requirements in summer and will be considered a summer graduate assuming successful completion of your remaining degree requirements. Learn more about commencement and degree conferral.
How do I know if I'm eligible to graduate?
There are numerous resources available to help you determine if you are on track to graduate. You are encouraged to meet with your major advisor and your minor advisor (if applicable) to discuss how well you are progressing towards the completion of your major and minor requirements. It is recommended to review your degree evaluation regularly and plan your courses out to ensure you will be on track to graduate during the term you applied to graduate.
I applied for graduation once before and paid the fee. Do I need to pay the fee again?
If you previously paid the one-time $100, $103, or $108 filing fee, you do not need to pay again.
How do I apply for concurrent graduate credit?
If you complete work in excess of graduation requirements during the semester or summer session in which your graduation occurs, you may petition for concurrent graduate credit. You will not be awarded concurrent graduate credit automatically or for credit earned in semesters prior to the term of graduation. The Concurrent Graduate Petition Form must be completed and submitted by the schedule adjustment deadline of the term in which the concurrent credit is completed and you are completing all degree requirements. Additional information about the Concurrent Graduate Credit policy is available in the University Catalog.
How do I confirm the term of graduation I applied for?
At the top of your degree evaluation, the Graduation Date field will list the term and year of graduation you have applied for. If no graduation application is on file, it will display a status of "Unknown."
When do I have to complete all of my graduation requirements?
All requirements must be completed by the last day of the term you apply for graduation. Grade changes, make-up of incomplete grades, petitions, test scores, waivers, and transcripts from other institutions must be on file with SDSU no later than the last day of the semester in which you are graduating. Official transcripts for work taken at another institution during your final semester must be received at SDSU no later than six weeks after the last day of the semester in which you are graduating.
Why does my degree evaluation still say I need to complete a particular requirement even though my advisor told me the requirement is okay?
The graduation requirements found on your degree evaluation are from the University Catalog. Students are required to complete these requirements. In some cases, departments will allow an exception or adjustment to the requirements found in the University Catalog. In these instances, a Request for Adjustment of Academic Requirements (RAAR) form must be filed with all the appropriate approvals before an adjustment can be made to a student's evaluation.  If an adjustment is approved, it will be reflected on your degree evaluation and a comment will be added to the bottom of your degree evaluation.
My degree evaluation says I have to send a college transcript. Do I really need to send my college transcript? What if I dropped the course? What if I decided not to attend the institution?  What if I don’t need the course to graduate?
Yes, all SDSU students are required to file official college transcripts from every institution they attended prior to graduation, whether the course is needed for your degree or not. If you decided to withdraw from coursework or not take classes from an institution you reported as attending, then you must still submit an official college transcript or official Letter of Non-Attendance prior to graduation. All official transcripts should be sent to:

San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7455
Or electronically, if possible to:
[email protected]
If I have an Incomplete (I) in one of my courses, will that prevent me from graduating, even if I do not need the course for any remaining requirement?
In order for your degree to be conferred, all graduation requirements must be completed, all undergraduate transcripts must be on file and considered final with the Office of the Registrar, and final grades must be issued for all courses at all institutions.
What if I study abroad during my last year at SDSU prior to my graduation?
Students who study abroad are required to have official transcripts sent from the institution attended before the completion of all degree requirements can be verified. SDSU is not always able to accept electronic transcripts from institutions outside of the United States, so it is important to understand that some institutions located abroad can take several months to send a transcript. Therefore, students who have applied to graduate and have studied abroad in their last year might experience a delay in the finalization of their graduation. It is recommended that students do not apply to graduate for the term in which you plan to study abroad.
I think I might be eligible for graduating with honors and distinction. How will I know for sure?
Graduating with honors is granted to undergraduate students who achieve high grade point averages. The determination of honors will be done automatically at the time the bachelor's degree is conferred. Candidates for a second bachelor's degree are not eligible to graduate with honors.
Distinction in the major is granted to students who meet the GPA qualifications and who have received their major department's recommendation. Graduation applicants who applied for graduation during the published application filing period will automatically be sent to their major departments for consideration. However, for a course to be considered for distinction, the removal of all incompletes and grade changes must be submitted by the end of the fifth week of your final semester. All changes for summer term graduates must be received by the end of the fifth week of the spring semester prior to graduation. Additional information about graduation with honors and distinction can be found in the University Catalog.
I applied to graduate but I won't be able to complete my requirements in time. What should I do?
If you realize that you will not complete the graduation requirements by the end of the term for which you applied to graduate, submit the Undergraduate Graduation Application Transfer Form. The Office of the Registrar will update your graduation application. It is recommended that you speak to your advisor before moving your graduation application to ensure it’s the most appropriate decision.
I have transferred my graduation application to a future term. How can I get a registration time?
Once your graduation application has been transferred, you will receive a registration date and time within 24 hours during the open registration period.
The transfer of this application for graduation to a future term assumes continuous enrollment. Continuous enrollment is defined as attendance in at least one semester or two quarters within a calendar year at a regionally accredited college or university. Filing a leave of absence (LOA) is recommended for any term you are not planning on enrolling at SDSU. For more information on LOA, see the Office of the Registrar’s website.
I'll have my degree requirements satisfied with the exception of my minor. Can I graduate and come back at a later date to complete my minor?
No. If you wish to earn a minor or if a minor is required by your major, you must complete all requirements for your major and minor by the graduation date for which you applied.
How do I cancel my graduation application?
Students must contact the Office of the Registrar if they need to cancel their graduation application. Unless a student is no longer going to be attending SDSU, rather than canceling the application, it will be moved forward to a future term.