Study Abroad Course Planning


  • Meet with your major and/or minor advisor to discuss which requirements can be fulfilled abroad. Questions for your major and/or minor advisor:
    • Are there any international institutions or programs you would recommend for my major/minor?
    • What is the best time for me to study abroad with this major/minor?
    • In which area of my major/minor can I use international courses (ie. major/minor electives only or specific required courses)?
  • Review the information about how Financial Aid works with study abroad.
  • Determine which term you want go abroad and whether you want a short-term (2–4 weeks), semester, or year-long experience. Note the important application deadlines and begin your process!
  • Meet with an International Advisor/Evaluator in the Office of Evaluations to understand how you can fulfill General Education (GE) requirements abroad, to assist in credit conversion and course level designation, and to understand the difference between study abroad programs that award "residence credit" versus "non-residence credit".
  • Due to COVID-19, study abroad programs have been suspended temporarily. Please visit the Enrollment Services COVID-19 Updates web page for more information.



Note: This information is intended to assist you for planning purposes only and not to replace meeting with an International Advisor in the Office of Evaluations.

Review the SDSU GE Study Abroad website to find a list of international institutions and learn how their courses could fulfill SDSU GE requirements. In order to fulfill SDSU GE requirements, courses must be completed through a Residence program and issued as Residence credit.

Residence credit
  • CSU International Programs
  • SDSU Exchange Programs
  • ISEP Exchange Programs
  • SDSU College of Extended Studies Faculty Led Programs
Non-Residence credit
  • Independent Programs
  • ISEP Direct Programs
  • Deakin University in Australia–200 & above is upper division level
  • Simon Fraser University in Canada–300 & above is upper division level
  • Chinese University of Hong Kong–2000 & above is upper division level
  • Chung Ang University in South Korea–Number does not indicate the level; refer to course curriculum
  • University of Aix-Marseille in France–Levels L & M are upper division level
  • University of Hertfordshire in London–Level 5 & above/Year 2 & above are upper division level
  • European Credit Transfer System (ECTS):
    ECTS units divided by 2 = semester units
  • United Kingdom:
    Credits divided by 4 = semester units
  • Contact hours:
    Contact hours divided by 15 = semester units